1 COMMUNITY CONSERVATION
- Promoting conservation education through support of conservation and wildlife clubs in schools and communities
2 PUBLIC HEALTH PROMOTION
- promoting public awareness on disease prevention measures in malaria control, HIV education, sanitation sensitization, support safe water provision, family planning amongst others in the communities around the protected areas.
- Providing support for reforestation efforts in Kivu Province – around the Virunga National Park – through the establishment of tree nurseries. These tree nurseries provide remote rural villages with fruit tree saplings as well as indigenous trees for wood, medicines, fodder and reforestation activities. This project addresses the interconnected issues of human poverty, declining land productivity and forest degradation in villages around conservation areas.
4 AGRICULTURE, RESEARCH
- Promoting affordable animal husbandry techniques to prevent poaching, encourage growth of non-raidable crops and income generating crops, promotion of farming methods which will help control soil erosion and the supply of high yield crops.
5 SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITY ECONOMIES
- Promoting savings associations to improve the economic well-being of local communities.
6 TOURISM PROMOTION
- Supporting locally-based tourism industry by training local guides, developing markets for local products amongst tourists and fostering local conservation enforcement in tourism areas.
7 ONE HEALTH
- Supporting collaboration between veterinary, medical and environmental personnel specialising in disease outbreak to control and mitigate outbreaks of epidemics.
8 ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION
- Promoting environmental awareness amongst children and adults, enabling them to take practical steps to protect their natural environment.